Web Wiz - Solar Powered Eco Web Hosting

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dramaticly reduce bandwidth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Scotty32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dramaticly reduce bandwidth
    Posted: 19 December 2004 at 6:28am
ok some may say this should of gone in ASP forum but since my sites like 90% WWF i'll put it here

my bandwidth is way to close to my limit, ive got like 0.9gb left

and i use ruffly 200-300mb a day.

am not sure if its heavy traffic, bad coding (my mods, not borgs), or what

so does anyone have any tips to reduce bandwidth?

i already removed files (mp3s), and i turned off skins - doesnt seem to  have changed my BW much.

id say i know ASP very well now - cept i dont understand things like load speed etc.
so my mods and add-ons could be a bit dodgy.

i have my forum on MSSQL, but i dont understand store procedures yet, would converting my mods to S.P make a difference?

and what about having a couple more connections open (than the default forum)

all/any tips would be welcome.

(btw i have '43715 Posts' in '3873 Topics' in '44 Forum(s)' if it helps - any other info ya need just ask)
dj air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 10:58am
i can't give much advice really but if you can avoid using images if you can.

compress images.. so they are a bit smaller (won't do much but will cut it down a bit).

also check the logs to see if anyone is hotlinking to your images.

has this shot up quickly or is it gone up slowly,  as it could then been traffic.

do you get any statistics from the site, reports , hits, visits etc.
Scotty32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 11:08am
yeah i already tried checkin for hotlinking and found one but i doubt it affected it much as the site didnt seem to popular

and am with Jodohost, and i have awstats on - and it seems rather constant the traffic, it varies each day between 170-340mb

might just be my traffic really and am wonderin if theres anyway i can reduce this (am oviously going to go over my limit this month) so i dont go over next month
dj air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 11:15am
is one of the website http://www.s2h.co.uk.

by the way your veriable Section is not defined in the forum (http://www.s2h.co.uk/forum/registration_rules.asp).

veriable section is also down in the downloads section (/download) and the same for tutorials

what sort of size are you download files , also are they popular. as that can put it up quick.

also MS style menu at the topWink.

only real thing i can see that can be done is reduce the number of site news , but that wont do much. say 4 instead of 10
Scotty32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 11:21am
nope - its not S2H - i dont have any downloads, the downloads that are there are just links (eg MSN is a link to MSN Messenger site, same as Winamp)

and i know its all messed up am currently working on it, if ya want to see - its http://www.lyricalassault.co.uk - its a rap battle site i do do audio battles, but people host them on SoundClick so downloads arent that much, and i think the few that were uploaded was about 80mb all together so it isnt really that much

if theres anything on the site you could suggest changing - that'd be nice

(note, it is a rap site so it does have 'language' on there)
dj air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 11:46am
what sort of chatroom are you using,

ASP, java, also is it hosted locally on your server as some can be Bandwidth guzzellers.. how popular is it. are the Site Stats in an Iframe or textbox

as having them in Iframe would use it up a bit more as its in theory a new page.

this file is used a lot
/forum/forum_images/default/table_bg_image.gif

you can save a few bytes by making it 1 pixel width..
 as it doesn't need to be longer really.

also your
favicon.ico file is 12 kb, that is called in Firefox
even if not bookmarked and also if bookmarked in IE.
 Post Reply Post Reply